domingo, 3 de dezembro de 2023

The UBI and the job guarantee are two sides of the same coin. Multiple reasons can lead people to professional and personal dead ends, and people should not be punished or even destroyed because of reasons that go far beyond bad personal choices. 

For example, my intellectual curiosity is highly eclectic; it is a necessity, not a choice. I am interested in a diversity of areas of knowledge to use as conceptual tools that help me analyze and interpret reality as factually as humanly possible.

To unravel the multilayers of propaganda, we need to master the basics of psychology, neuroscience, cognitive linguistics, logical fallacies, semiotics, geopolitics, economics, banking, monetary policies, the so-called free-market system, ecology, and the list could go on.

I was raised in a small village called Alcanena, Portugal, where the leather industry was the basis of the local economy. This highly polluting industry sparked my interest in ecology, botany, and medicinal plants, but for family reasons, my professional "career" began in a leather factory at the age of sixteen. 

I got married when I was 23, and since then, my professional "choices" have mostly revolved around the lesser of two evils, and it's tough to break out of this vicious circle. Of course, if I could go back, my priority would be to get a university degree, but when you live in a working-class environment, the understanding of the academic world is limited, and what we don't know doesn't appear on the list of choices.